- Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Trans*, Asexual, Questioning, Intersex, however-many-letters-are-in-this-thing
- sexually active
- a particular political affiliation (although Vanatruar tend to be more liberal-to-moderate, in my experience)
- someone who exclusively honours the Vanir to the exclusion of all other deities
- a farmer, a sailor, a baker, a butcher, a candlestick maker
- a homesteader
- someone who lives in a rural area
- a godspouse to two deities and a godslave to one
- no, seriously, you don’t have to be a godspouse
- or a godslave
- or even particularly god-bothered
- a reconstructionist
- a drinker (yours truly does not drink, it gives her headaches)
- or vanilla
- at least, not all the time
- someone who practices magic (sex magic or otherwise)
I think I got most of them.
And now, here is something you absolutely MUST HAVE to be Vanatru
- love for the Vanir
All of that other stuff is good to have, but love for the Vanir trumps everything. Do you hear me? It’s bigger than your skin colour or what you eat or who you love, SO MUCH BIGGER!
Now, for me personally, I do think that being Vanatru involves giving more than two shits about the environment, but I’m not going to dictate to anyone what that means. For some, it may be as simple as not using pesticides on one’s land, or voting for political parties that make the environment a priority, or giving to organizations that protect endangered species or forests or whatever. Other people may go completely “off the grid”, if that’s what you want to do, go and do it.
But all that other stuff I mentioned? Nothing wrong with any of it, but it’s non-essential.